866-806-6156 (9 am - 5pm ET)
Attention: Vintage and Warbird DPEs, PPEs, and CFIs

October 9, 2003 - If you are already an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE), a Pilot Proficiency Examiner (PPE), or a Certificated Flight Instructor (CFI) in vintage multi-engine aircraft, it would not take much more to become an FAA National Designated Pilot Examiner (NDPER) and/or a National Designated Flight Engineer Examiner (NDFEER).

To do so, you must meet the following minimum requirements:

• Hold a current FAA DPE certificate

• Have been an FAA DPE or an FAA PPE for at least one year

• Hold a current FAA Class II Medicate certificate

• Hold a minimum of two type ratings, LOAs and/or authorized experimental ratings in multi-engine vintage aircraft

• Have a proven background involving the operation of multi-engine vintage aircraft

• Hold a current EAA membership

• Be willing to travel

EAA and FAA encourage multi-engine vintage aircraft pilots who do not meet the above minimum requirements to work toward eligibility by becoming either an FAA DPE or a FAA PPE. Appointments for either the DPE or the PPE are handled through your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).

To determine the national need for such examiners and/or for help in processing your DPE or PPE application through the FSDO, contact JD Martin, FAA National Program Manager for Vintage and Surplus Military Aircraft, 847/294-7150 or [email protected].

For other questions on the NDPER and the NDFEER programs, contact Verne Jobst, EAA NDPER/NDFEER Program Manager, 815/385-7277; JD Martin (see above), or Randy Hansen, EAA NDPER/NDFEER Program Administrator 920/426-6522.